Coastal and Countryside with Camping Training
This 2 day coastal and countryside walking leader with camping endorsement training course is intended for those leading groups in open countryside and on the coastal footpaths of the counties of the South West. It also enables leaders to supervise camping expeditions on recognised campsites in non-remote locations.
The course covers navigation, route planning, leader and group equipment for walking and camping, and management of groups when walking and camping.
This course is the first level on the South West Mountain and Moorland Leaders (SWMML) Scheme and is suited to those with limited experience in navigation and camping, as it assumes. It is ideally suited to leaders wanting to get involved with Duke of Edinburgh leadership (D of E).
- Duration of course: 2 days and 2 nights
- Next course date: 14th - 16th September 2012, 22nd – 24th March 2013
- Cost of Course: £165 per person (catering included)
- Course Location: Carnyorth Outdoor Education Centre, Carnyorth, TR19 7QE
- Course Code: CL010
Pre-requisites for this training course
- Minimum age of 18
- No further pre-requisites other than enthusiasm and genuine interest for leadership in the outdoors
The following syllabus content assumes no previous knowledge of any of these topics, the main subjects to be covered include:
- Route Planning for coastal and countryside expeditions
- Group Management styles, including remote supervision tactics
- Interpreting basic weather forecasts
- Methods for carrying out basic expedition, including equipment for both personal and group needs
- Navigation, understanding the nature of a map and navigating using linear features and simple techniques, appropriate to the level of NNAS Bronze level.
- Risk Management, associated with walking and campsites
- Load carrying and packing
- Use of stoves and tents
- Campsite organisation and safety
- Access and conservation of the environment