Climbing Wall Supervisor
The Climbing Wall Supervisor is a Local Authority award issued by Cornwall Outdoors for the holder to run climbing wall sessions within local authority premises. The award is aimed at leaders wanting to utilise a climbing wall at their school or premises to safely introduce young people to the sport of indoor climbing.
The award is split into four elements;
- Training. Our one-day Climbing Wall Supervisor training courses will be held at the Delaware Outdoor Education Centre indoor climbing wall, providing you with the core skills to manage a safe and beneficial climbing wall session.
- Consolidation. A period of time where you practice your new skills at other venues of your own choosing. This time of practice is essential as it is where you get the opportunity to climb with other climbers and experienced instructors. This period should last at least three months and will need to involve at least twelve personal climbing sessions and two group-led sessions.
- Assessment. Our three-hour assessment course to be held either at your local climbing wall (if your group size is sufficient) or again at the Delaware Centre. At assessment you will be able to demonstrate your competence as a climbing wall supervisor. On successful completion of your Climbing Wall Supervisor assessment, you will be able to run climbing sessions at your local climbing wall for one year.
- Refresher/re-validation. You will be expected to re-validate your award on an annual basis by undertaking one of our 3-hour refresher courses with one of our course directors, either at your site or at the Delaware Centre.
Please note: Training, Assessment and Refresher (re-validation) prices are based on a minimum of 4 persons attending the course. For smaller numbers please contact us to confirm a price.
Why is a refresher course necessary?
Recent high-profile accidents at school climbing walls have identified that the skills needed to keep people safe on a climbing walls can quickly diminish if not practiced on a regular basis. Following these accidents, guidance has been published by Mountain Training (the national governing body for climbing and mountaineering) that all locally signed-off climbing instructors should be subject to a refresher on an annual basis, or that they should seek the nationally recognised award, which has a more rigorous training, consolidation and assessment process.
It is for this reason that Cornwall Outdoors now offers the newly established three-hour annual refresher/re-validation course which will be held regularly at the Delaware Centre or can be delivered at your venue (for group sizes of 4+)
- Training. - £75.00 - Held at the Delaware Centre (based on a minimum of four candidates)
- Assessment. - £50 - Held either at the Delaware Centre or your local wall (based on a minimum of four candidates)
- Annual Refresher/revalidation. - £50 Held either at the Delaware Centre or your local wall (based on a minimum of four candidates)
Dates, Times and Venues
We advertise at least three courses per year for all-comers however for larger groups we are able provide this service on-demand, throughout the year. Please visit our CornwallLearningOnline booking site or contact us direct to arrange a course.
Tel: 01872 833885